Paphos Castle is located in the port of Paphos and was to fortify the city. It had been destroyed in the earthquake of 1222 but then rebuilt by the Lusignans in the thirteenth century. The Venetians were dismantled in 1570. In 1935 was declared one of the most distinctive landmarks of the city of Paphos. Paphos Castle has been used for several years for various purposes by the current conquerors of Cyprus at the moment it is a tourist attraction.